Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The House of Mirth

I thought it was interesting that she takes part of the title of her book from Ecclesiastes which is more or less dedicated to Solomon. He broke 3 of the rules of kings mapped out in Deuteronomy. He sins by multiplying his gold and his horses and chariots. He also idolizes other Gods. In response to this, God announces that he shall tear Solomon's kingdom in half. I found this interesting as a part of foreshadowing by showing that Lily wants to have more money and more material things and she well idolizes the social status she is trying so hard to stay in with. I think that may well be the reason Wharton decided against titling her book "A Moment's Ornament" or "The Year of the Rose." I think she did this because of the heavy symbolism and meaning behind the house of mirth, it leads to a fuller understanding of the follies of the mannerisms of the main characters.

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciated the subject matter in The House of Mirth. I didn't necessarily enjoy reading it, but what Wharton had to say was very important and I think that an important and worth story was told. I think the ending of the novel was very atypical of 1905. Upon reading this novel, I thought they would live happily ever after, but Wharton doesn't write the novel that way. I think she is definitely trying to make a point by doing so. In my opinion, she was trying to show the destruction that came from lives like Lily Bart's.
    Also, I thought it was interesting that Wharton never let us know whether Lily intentionally killed herself or not. When Lily is at Seldon's apartment for the last time her language sounds as if she knows she won't be around much longer, but then in the final few pages it sounds as if it is a complete accident. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Ole Lily Bart, I certainly didn't see her demise to be suicide. However, I did see her death as not only physical, but also a mental death of the old "keeping up with the Jones's" Lily. Her entire adulthood was spent on following a blind crowd down an open tunnel at midnight. She placed so much trust on money that it seems to be "Too Much with Her." Selden can been seen as a parent that loses their loved but unwanted child. He realizes that he should have taken action before it was too late. Even though her death was a mistake, I can't help but believe that Wharton and Lily both knew that a long peaceful sleep on the account of pills are a recipe for one of the many 1000 Ways to Die. We as humans catch ourselves wanting to to fit in just a little too often. Wharton wants her readers to know that this only separates a person from their true self, which in practically means death.

    ReplyDelete